A little personal post today in honor of our five year wedding anniversary. I tell every newly engaged couple: marriage is the best. It really is. It’s fun, challenging, exciting, crazy, comforting, and awesome. I have learned a LOT in the last five years. Being married to Sam, I have learned how to see the world through a different set of eyes, how to rest more and work less, how to cook a turkey, how to backpack in the wilderness, how to travel to developing countries, and how to love and serve Jesus in a whole new way.
Five tips for newlyweds:
- Honesty is the best policy…seriously. Don’t go into marriage with *any* secrets. A difficult conversation now leads to lots of trust, peace, and understanding later.
- Please take two classes immediately: Perspectives and FPU.
- Everyone will ask when you’re going to have kids, and it’s okay if you don’t know yet.
- Make dedicated time for each other each day, even if it’s just an hour. Work can wait.
- Celebrate the little things. Career milestones and anniversaries are fun to honor, but so are your cat’s birthdays and your cat finally scratching the rope thing you got him a year ago. Okay, a little weird now.
Newly engaged couples: Sam wrote an article on his advice for your wedding day here!
I know, we are still babies in the marriage world, but it seems like a milestone for us! To celebrate, I’m blogging some photos from our wedding day: July 2, 2010.
Love you babe, here’s to forever!
Cupcakes: Katie Whittaker
Cake Topper: Jackson Daley
Flowers: Sheri Russell
Hair: Nicole Vance